Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Witness for Life.....with me Always


At the end of May, Fr. Romeo "Pete" Murphy, 88 years old, died at our Immaculate Heart of Mary Infirmary in Tewksbury, MA. I had lived with Fr. Murphy for the last 1 1/2 years at the St. Eugene De Mazenod Residence in Lowell, MA. Until just a few months ago, Fr. Murphy was extrememly active in celebrating Mass and visiting the sick in the Lowell, MA area. Then he began to have to deal with some health issues.

Fr. Murphy was a great Witness for Life through his word and action as a Missionary Oblate of Mary Immaculate. Fr. Murphy was so excited for me when he heard that I was going to do the Crossroads Walk from Los Angeles, CA to Washington, DC. He thought is was an incredible idea to have an Oblate walk across the country in the spirit of St. Eugene to be a voice for the unborn and pray for an end to abortion in our country, as well as being an advocate for all of life issues.

The last time I visited Fr. Murphy was when I was packing up my last items for the my summer pilgrimage. I remember visiting Fr. Murphy in the hospital ICU where he was not responsive. I prayed the rosary and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy at his bedside while the nursing staff cared for Fr. Murphy. It was great being with my Oblate brother in this most difficult time. I also realized this might be the last time that I would see Fr. Murphy. In the midst of his treatment, I wanted to respect the dignity and sanctity of his life and ministry as a Missionary Oblate. I said my goodbyes and offered a blessing before leaving.

About a week later, Fr. Murphy died. I pray for him as I walk across America that he may be praying for us and cheering us on as we take each important step to Washington, DC where we will have a Pro-Life Rally in front of the US Capitol on August 15, 2009. Fr. Murphy, may you rest in peace in heaven and may you enjoy the rewards of eternal life with God and all who are in heaven. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment